Environmental & Regulatory Compliance Department is comprised of four divisions managed by vice president John O'Connell Jr. These divisions provide technical support and oversight in their respective areas of expertise throughout the SCA.
Building Code Compliance (BCC) Division
- Promotes the safety and welfare of the New York City students, staff, and the general public by ensuring compliance with NYC Construction Codes and Zoning regulations.
- Enhances quality by providing technical support and ongoing training seminars to SCA Construction Management.
- Carries out the mission of the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) in accordance with a Memorandum of Understanding through the highly qualified professional staff of plan examiners and inspectors.
- Facilitates efficient processing of Buildings Department plan reviews, permitting process, and sign-offs to achieve timely completion of school projects. Refer to Building Code Compliance Plan Review & Permitting resources.
- Resolving Violations - a resource page for addressing violations before completion of close-out and transfer.
Construction Inspection Division (CID)
- Inspects the installation of materials and equipment on SCA projects to verify that the contractors install these systems as per the SCA plans, specifications, and relevant codes.
- Organized into units as follows: Plumbing, Fire Suppression, Boiler/Fuel Burning Inspection Unit; Electrical and Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Unit; Roofing, Masonry and Sheet metal Inspection Unit; and the Civil, Architectural, Window and Door Inspection Unit.
- Works closely with SCA Architecture & Engineering (A&E), SCA Construction Management and Building Code Compliance to ensure that the SCA receives a quality product.
Industrial & Environmental Hygiene (IEH) Division
- Provides all-encompassing management and administration of environmental hygiene inclusive of: asbestos, lead, PCBs, indoor air quality, mold, hazardous materials, underground storage tanks, potable water, chemical relocation, soil excavation/characterization and disposal.
- Performs environmental due diligence assessments of potential site development acquisitions.
- Works very closely with SCA's Architecture & Engineering (A&E) and Construction Management (CM) Departments
- Provides protection to the students, teachers, school personnel and the general public during all new construction and renovation of New York City school buildings.
- Enforces all applicable safety rules and regulations in a firm, fair and consistent manner; refer Safety Manual and Forms and Checklists
- Educates SCA personnel, general contractors, and subcontractors regarding City, State, Federal, and SCA mandated safety rules and regulations.