Most of the SCA’s construction projects are at operating school buildings. Although the SCA contractors generally do not work during the normal school day session, we must coordinate the work with the school to minimize any disruption to the operation of the school. To facilitate the coordination, the PO will meet with the Principal(s) and review the project and the logistics involved with the construction process. The discussions with the Principal(s) will include, among other things:
- Normal school hours- The hours of normal operation ( hours when the school is fully populated) vary from school to school.
- Summer programs- Many school buildings house programs during the summer months.
- Sequence / phasing of construction work – Not all areas of a building can be made available for construction at one time. The Principal(s) and the PO review which areas will be available and when.
- Security- Many SCA projects are of such a size and nature that provision of a security guard(s) is a necessity.
- Staging areas- Many SCA projects require a dedicated area for storage, trailers etc. The dedicated area must be situated such that it does not affect the functioning of the school.
It is absolutely necessary that the bid documents include any restrictions and conditions so the bids reflect any related costs. The results of these preconstruction coordination meetings will be incorporated into an exhibit which will be included in the documents issued for bid.