The Benefits of Being MWLBE-Certified
The SCA's Mentor Program provides qualified and certified MWLBEs with training and opportunities to work on SCA projects.
For firms that do not qualify for the Mentor Program, the SCA makes other provisions to encourage MWLBE participation on its contracts. For its construction projects, the SCA stipulates that contractors demonstrate a good faith effort to subcontract 20% of the work to an MWBE firms and 10% to LBEs. On personal services contracts, one of the evaluation criteria is the extent to which a consultant firm uses MWLBEs, either as subconsultants or as joint venture (JV) partners.
Requirements for Certifying as an MWBE
To be certified as a minority or woman-owned business enterprise, a business must:
- Be in operation for at least one (1) year;
- Operate in New York or possess a license issued by New York City; and
- At minimum be 51% owned, operated and controlled by a woman or a member of an ethnic minority group.
To complete the online certification application, click the following link: Certification Application.
Requirements for Certifying as a LBE
In order to be certified as a locally based enterprise, a company must:
- Derive 25% or more of its gross receipts from business conducted in economically disadvantaged areas (as defined by the NYC Department of City Planning) within NYC OR
- Hire veterans and/or welfare recipients to comprise at least 25% of their workforce AND
- Have average annual gross receipts of under $2.167 million for all construction and construction-related work during the past three years.
In order to establish these minimum requirements and provide other required information, MWLBE businesses should complete online, the certification application and provide all supporting documentation, i.e. ownership records, stock certificates and tax returns.
To complete the online certification application, click Certification Application.